Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Think about it? You've got to be kidding me!

It is getting colder now in Jerusalem and throughout Israel which, too, has been impacted by the economic crisis. Tragically, in times like these the forgotten elderly are the first to suffer.

This need has broken my heart. I was the first U.S. Christian minister in the early 80s to organize a national campaign to encourage these people to leave Russia and go home to Israel. I flew many times to Russia to meet with them in their tiny apartments and in the woods. To see them so very alone and in such need in the Bible Land is breaking my heart.

When I took Bibles into Russia, I had to call them “soap.” It was against the law to take Bibles into the country. I had three suitcases that were opened by a solder who said, “These are big bars of soap.” I said, “Yes,” knowing I would go to prison when he opened the packages. He closed the suitcases and whispered, “Praise the Lord, brother.”

I awoke this morning praying for them and their needs. We want so much to meet the goal of having 5,000 Jerusalem Prayer Team members contribute so that we can help as many Holocaust survivors and elderly Russian Jews as possible. It's my prayer that we will not just meet it, but surpass it.

God spoke to me to give ten winter coats and hats on behalf of my children and grandchildren. I am sowing a seed for them. Would you consider doing the same, if you are able?

Would you give your best possible gift today? Thank you to the 700 who have given, and I pray that everyone who has given would match their best gift today, or give a second gift no matter the size. With your help, we will be able to meet our goal, and perhaps even surpass it.

There are only about 250,000 Holocaust survivors still alive in Israel. Most of the remnant who suffered at the hands of the Nazis during World War II are more than 75 years old, and many are older than 85. Even the youngest of those who survived the concentration camps are now in their 60s.

The people who are suffering are the poor elderly Jewish refugees. We as Believers need to bless those who are suffering.

While in Jerusalem this urgent need was presented to me: I was asked if you would purchase brand-new fleece coats and hats to be distributed to the needy in order to help them survive the coming winter.
  source

No comments: