Sunday, July 15, 2012

Deli Slicers And Food Safety: What Your Company Needs To Know

I know this isn't the sort of thing I normally post, which is wrong of me, because I know unclean Deli Slicers are another huge health risk, I don't think a lot of people think about and having worked in the restaurant industry years ago.  Big time health Risk when not cleaned properly, also a huge Health Department NO NO.


Heck, I know while on vacation in Vegas one time, my friends kept ranting and raving about how good this little 'sub shop' I don't remember the name in old Vegas was.  Huge Huge line to wait to get one of these sandwiches....by the time we got close enough to order I was watching them slice everything but the kitchen sink with this slicer, and I loudly said this is a health hazard; working with dirty food prep and talked about how filthy they where and how it could make people sick.  Despite the nasty looks I got from 'sub shop' employees, I walked out and drug my friends with me and said, we will find some place clean to eat.      


Sorry ran across this article and had flashback memories of that trip and wanted to rant a little I guess.......lol, have a great week readers.  

Deli Slicers And Food Safety: What Your Company Needs To Know


In recent years, delis have greatly expanded their product portfolio, catering to a growing need for more ready-to-eat items in a faster paced world.
For these reasons, food safety in delis has never been more important.  One of the most critical control points for food safety in delis (as well as restaurants and other foodservice establishments) is the slicer, which is commonly used to slice meats, cheeses and produce.
Unfortunately, deli slicers can sometimes be difficult to clean. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) Food Code, deli slicers should be disassembled, cleaned and sanitized per the manufacturer’s instructions at least once every four hours to prevent the growth of disease-causing bacteria.
This, of course, can create numerous challenges for food companies. First, the task may be difficult to accomplish in a busy deli or restaurant which relies on slicers throughout the day to meet unpredictable customer demand. Second, slicers may become more difficult to properly clean over time.
Seals and gaskets within a typical deli slicer may become worn or degraded as a result of heavy use and cleaning. In some instances, this can create spaces that trap debris and moisture, and these spaces may not be able to be adequately cleaned under normal conditions. Thus, slicers should be frequently examined by operators for worn or broken parts and seals, and regularly serviced by manufacturers.

No comments: