Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Following criticism, Facebook says it will warn users about violent content; makes you wonder if this also applys to Free Speech and views so many have been suspened or banned for?

 WARNING: VERY GRAPHIC VIOLENCE - The beheading of convert to Christian in Tunisia

Facebook announced Tuesday it was working on new ways to keep users from stumbling across gruesome content on its website following an outcry over the discovery of beheading videos there.

The controversy — which has drawn critical comment from British Prime Minister David Cameron — illustrates the difficulty of setting a universal standard across the social network used by 1 billion people. Facing sharp criticism, Facebook Inc. issued a statement clarifying that violent videos were only allowed if they were presented as news or held up as atrocities to be condemned.

"If they were being celebrated, or the actions in them encouraged, our approach would be different," the company said in a statement. "However, since some people object to graphic video of this nature, we are working to give people additional control over the content they see. This may include warning them in advance that the image they are about to see contains graphic content."

Rohypnol, rape and other disturbing content. Isn't it about time Facebook cleaned up its act?


Facebook banned beheading videos in May but recently lifted the prohibition — a development flagged by the BBC on Monday. A few groups have since condemned the social network for potentially exposing users to the violent content.

Cameron, whose right-leaning government has unveiled several initiatives to censor objectionable content online, said Tuesday allowing the beheading videos back on Facebook was "irresponsible."

Facebook's administrators face constant pressure from interest groups trying to impose their own forms of censorship or fighting to lift restrictions they see as oppressive. Women's rights groups want the company to crack down on misogynistic content; others have ridiculed Facebook's ban on the depiction of female breasts. Some believers have urged the site ban what they see as blasphemous content, while others decry what they claim is Facebook's censorship of pages critical of one religion or the other.  MORE

I'm all for Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Knowledge; I may not agree with all of it; even hate or be offened by so much of it, and even find it Criminal which in many cases it is,  but that is my choice of whether I continue reading, listening or watching something.  Not pushing the report button for offensive content, or I could hold a protest or petition something if I choose too, but that is my right, not taking the easy way out by pushing REPORT.

Face it everyone learning the Truth and Reality of what is has gone on or is currently going on can be an enlightening, disrespectful, sometimes harsh if not a painfully disturbing thing.  It's all in how you preceive it, and I want to be able to make that decission for myself, not someone I've never met before who allegedly knows what is in my best interest.  Lets face it that is LIFE DEAL WITH IT, life isn't all about sunshine and rainbows, or how much money you can make because you were offended by words.

If it is something I don't want to know I turn it off, turn the page or don't look for it to begin with.  Trust me I don't do a lot of that with things important to me, not the mainstream PC crap which is just that!   I choose not to be consumed looking at the garbage they try to shove down our throats.

 My Mind and My Choice.
          ~
 

No comments:

Bound for Glory - I Stood